Thursday, January 22, 2009

Planet Earthing in Iguazú and El Calafate

It was tough to peel myself away from the thong-clad babes on the beaches of Uruguay but, alas, I decided to get back to nature and to check out the waterfalls of Iguazú and the glaciers of Patagonia.

I took an overnight bus to Iguazú Falls, about a 16 hour bus ride from Buenos Aires. The bus station in Buenos Aires is pretty incredible-- filled with hundreds of different bus companies going to all different parts of South America. The buses are nothing like Greyhound, as there are buses that have seats that lie completely flat! Some even have your own little suite! During this bus ride, I read Randy Pausch's "Last Lecture," and I highly recommend it. I usually steer clear of all those books that remind us to live in the moment, as if each day was your last because they tend to preach, rather than demonstrate. After reading it, I had to ask, what would I do if I had 6 months left to live? The answer is that I would be doing the exact same thing I am doing right now. (Granted, I'd probably sell everything I had so that I wouldn't really be on a budget!)

The waterfalls of Iguazú were pretty overwhelming. I've been to Niagara Falls, and it's something quite different here. There is an extensive walkway around the waterfalls, and the most dramatic point is The Devils Throat, where you can practically walk right over the waterfall. The only thing separating you from plunging 80 odd meters to a nice death bath is a waist high railing! This would never exist in America...

One thing I've noticed about the people of Argentina is that they sure do like their beef. One late morning around 11am I went to grab a late breakfast near the hostel. A slender woman in her 20's sat next to me and ordered a 12oz bone-in ribeye, a large beer, and a salad. She polished it off with no problema whatsoever! I felt a little inadequate with my one banana pancake and a little shot of espresso...

After three days in Iguazú, (which was overkill actually) I flew out to El Calafate, in the southern part of Argentina, to check out Patagonia. Specifically, I went to see the Moreno Glacier and Torres Del Paine. Words cannot really describe the beauty of the place, and will let the pictures (when I upload them, of course)do the talking.

The highlight of my time in El Calafate actually came when I flew out of the airport. The pilot announced in Spanish upon takeoff that he had some bad news. He stated that since it was such a beautiful day, there would be a delay getting back into Buenos Aires because he had to make a roundabout over the Moreno Glacier!! From high up on a plane, he made a couple circles over the glacier I had visited the day before and snapped away from my window seat-- all for free!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home