Tuesday, August 19, 2008

My three-month mark, retrospective and summary

Over the past three months, between the pub crawls and hangovers, I occasionally have had some downtime to think about the journey I have taken so far, and what really has happened. Where do I start??? (About fifteen minutes elapsed before writing the next sentence here.)

Obviously, I am having the time of my life and sooooooooooo glad I did not choose to do something stupid like buy a new Porsche Cayman S. (Although, it would be nice to have that with me to travel around the world with!!!) Travelling solo like this- I have met so many people from so many different countries that all I will be doing when I get back to the US is to go back and visit these friends (especially Australia!!!) Meeting so many like-minded individuals, whether they be Russian students on their summer break, Australians and Kiwis on their gap year, Europeans on their obnoxiously long vacations, or the occasional American who has decided to leave his family, friends, and career behind for a year, just makes me smile every day. It also doesn't hurt that everytime I look at my phone it reads, "No upcoming appointments!" Everyday is like a Saturday!!!

Speaking of work, I do miss it a bit. I mean, not the actual work itself, but the idea of putting money IN the bank, as opposed to the other way around. My budget, considering I set aside $100/day, is surprisingly doing alright. I am "only" $2,000 over so far, not bad, considering (my drinking ways) I have been in Europe this whole time. It will (hopefully) get much cheaper once I get to Africa and Latin America.

One of the things I consistenly hear from people when I tell them about my trip is, "You must be rich to be able to do this," followed inevitably by, "I wish I could do that...." I have a secret everybody, all you have to do is save your money and not waste $4.5 on that "must have" mocha frappuccino twice a day, or that "gotta have" $150 pair of jeans... For example, most everybody I know makes fun of the flask I carry around but the way I figure, it saves me at least $50 bucks a night every time I go out. Multiply that over the course of a year, (assuming you go out just once a week, every week of the year) and tada, I have an extra $2,000-$3000 bucks in my bank account! That flask carrying allowed me to spend one extra month on this trip. It's really that easy, guys.

Other things I have learned:
1) Being able to put everything you have in one bag is incredibly liberating.... and horribly burdensome. I may act like a monkey sometimes, but when I get back, I guarantee you I will look like one. Or at least my shoulders will.

2) Everybody can understand American English just fine, but nobody can understand the Scottish.

3) If Europe could vote in America's elections, Obama would win in a landslide.

4) Conversely, if America could vote in Europe's elections, you wouldn't have to pay to use a public toilet. "You can get all the free education and healthcare you want, Mr. Bean, but when it comes to leaking the lizard, why yes, you have to PAY for that privilege."

5) Australians are everywhere except in Australia. Apparently, nobody lives there, only 'roos and Kylie Minogue. Oh wait, she lives in London!

6) Football (soccer) is a great sport to watch and I am convinced America would be a football loving nation if we could watch more than just David Beckham and Victoria prance around LA.

7) All I ever needed to learn about travelling the world (so far) I learned with a map, a beer, and a bar. (Please do me a favor on your next trip, do not buy a Lonely Planet or a Frommers' or any other overpriced travel guide as you're only destined to meet other people who did the exact same thing.)

8) Santa Claus really does exist!

9) Getting hit on by women in their 50's is not flattering. At all.

10) When I get home, I am going to make a bikini calendar consisting of Spanish sanitation engineeresses, Polish bartendresses, any Estonian girl, Swedish policewomen, and Finnish girls who work at Subway, and I will be a very, very, very rich man.

2 Comments:

At August 22, 2008 at 9:31 AM , Blogger Scanlan Family said...

D Lew..Scanlan from Accuvant here, and I must say that I have been reading your blog and I find it to be the best thing in entertainment. I have reserved comment until this 3 month mile marker and I have to say, I am grateful to you for sharing your experiences and wonderful prose. I have not had the luxury of being able to travel to some of these locations and have garnered a sense of what it is like through your writings and pictures. Keep them coming.

I must admit, I thought your blog was going to full of half naked women and bar scenes (which is 1/2 true on the bar scenes at least) with no journalistic sense but, you have provided everyone with a great sense of your insights and experiences that you can't possibly put a price on. If you run out of money, let me know. I would happily contribute to the "Keep D-Lew Traveling" fund if fo nothing other than the exhilaration I find rushing to hit yoru site to read about your latest escapades. It beats any novel ever read.

As a guy rapped up in the race with a family and now 2 boys (yep, had another son on June 28th) I sometimes find myself thinking how much I would have loved to have done what you are in fact doing. Who cares if you come back with no cash....you have memories, friends, experiences that 98% of Americans will never have. That can not be replaced. Hell, I'll hire you when you get back or help you get a gig so don't worry. Keep the good times going and keep writing. I'll send you a C-Note anytime you need it!

As for a tip, I went to school in COsta Rica for a year studying at the UNA in Heredia. Great people and wonderful place. I suggest visiting Tortuguero on the Carribean side if at all possible. Very remote but wonderful wildlife and a startk contrast to the tourist filled mecas of the Nicoya Peninsula area. A must stop is Jaco on the Pacific. Lots of young travelers and excellent surf. Drink some Imperial, Barva or Pilsen beer and eat the arroz con pollo and you can't go wrong.

Anyway, I have been wanting to chime in and tell you what pleasure I get from your blog and I look forward to your next post. See as much soccer as possible! I am heading to London/Paris in the Fall of 2009 with the wife to see some games.

Be well and stay safe!!

Chris Scanlan

 
At August 27, 2008 at 5:54 PM , Blogger Tre said...

Is it necessary to call me around midnight? you know the time difference, do the math!!!

I don't know why but i do listen to the voicemail in the morning and it pisses me off that I have to start the day listening to your nonsensical banter :) It's pretty funny though!

Good the hear that you're having fun. and HELLO LADIES!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home