Friday, April 25, 2008

"So.... when are you leaving???"

One of the most common questions I've been asked over the past month since I quit on March 31st finally has an answer! It's official, on Cinco de Mayo, I will be doing my Mexican hat dance all the way to....Hong Kong! Yes, I know, it's been almost a month already since I quit-- what the heck have I been doing? Well, lemme tell ya...

Over the past 4 weeks, I've learned many things, specifically centered around not having a job:

1) It can really screw up your sleeping schedule. Just last week, I think I set the world record for "Latest hour to bake cookies." I finished baking the last batch at around 2:30am, on a Monday, naturally! It was worth it, because when I woke up at noon, it made for a perfect breakfast. Not to mention how great it is to wake up with the smell of freshly baked cookies still lingering in the house.

2) You have more unemployed friends than you think, and they will literally show up at your door just to hang out with little or zero prior notification. My buddy knocked on my door the other day and he said, "I just figured you'd be around!" At least he didn't show up before noon. I'm assuming because he had also been up late doing something constructive like baking cookies the night before.

3) Back in the 80's we had trashy soap operas during the day. The 90's brought forth such notable daytime talk shows like Jerry Springer and Ricki Lake. I am convinced cable news is just the ugly bastard child of Days of Our Lives and Maury Povich.

4) eBay should be renamed eCrack.

5) Life was much, much, simpler back when I was 9-- but things do not change much when you're 32, either. While cleaning out my closet I found an old piggy bank that I kept when I was a kid. I opened it up, and I found my first, ahem, "bank account statement." What made this little note so interesting is the fact that my budgeting and financial planning back then is practically the same as it is today-- ultimately allowing me to take this year-long hiatus in the first place. So all you people who have been asking me, how can I afford to do this trip? It started with $19.60 back in 1985. Better start planning!!!

Also interesting to note is that it took me about three years to save $11.35! And, Alfred, I'm coming after you....

2 Comments:

At April 27, 2008 at 8:42 PM , Blogger Japan STM Team said...

What???!!!

You baked cookies and didn't invite me?

 
At May 1, 2008 at 10:58 PM , Blogger Alfred said...

hahaha! I wonder what I owe you ten bucks for?

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home